Saturday, January 17, 2009

Shobbas


Hey, 
So this was my first Shobbas here in Firenze. Friday night we went to the shul which was amazing I've never really seen anything like it. They had exactly a minyan and about eighteen women (we were ten of them). I think they said less prayers but everything except shmoneh esrei is said outloud so it was a pretty long service. After shul we went to Chabad down the block which actually wasn't too fun. I sat next to their eleven year old son who, when after the bowl of croutons was passed around, proceeded to stick is spoon in the bowl and eat it. After he was full he poured it on the table and just kept scooping it up and sprinkling it around. When he got bored of that he started grinding them under his fingernails and scraping it out with his teeth. The grand finale consisted of a Crouton Man (wearing a large hat I'd have to assume is black...) Then we came back home and played banagrams and just hung out for a while. Today I slept in and went back to Chabad for lunch. I met a girl there who moved to Florence from LA a few months ago and she was pretty interesting. I also learned that they use pig fat in just about everything here including bread and gelato so there goes carefree eating out. Tonight I'm going out for the first time here so stay tuned. Bueno Suerte mi amici

1 comment:

  1. good job not getting killed!
    i remember when i lived in London the equivalent of the cooking channel would always have this show on w these two old ladies who would simply add lard(pig fat) to EVERYTHING they made. Oh Europeans.
    How was sore oozer's sat night out on the town? Did you wake up w a sore oozer?

    ReplyDelete